It's finally here, the DFW Launch Lunch for Women Veterans Day 2018, and you're invited!
On June 9, 2017, Texas Senate Bill 805 designated June 12th as Women Veterans Day in the State of Texas. Since the Revolutionary War, women have served our armed forces, but it wasn't until June 12, 1948, when President Harry L. Truman signed into law, the Women's Armed Services Integration Act (WASIA) that women were allowed to serve as regular members of the military. And this year, we will celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the 1948, Women’s Armed Services Integration Act.
Join political leaders along with community, corporate, colleges, schools, churches, nonprofits, libraries, government and Veteran Service Organizations representatives at this DFW Launch Lunch to organize the Women Armed Services Integration Act, 70th Anniversary Celebration on Women Veterans Day, June 12, 2018.
We will meet at the Veteran Resource Center, 4900 South Lancaster Road, Dallas, TX 75216, on Wednesday, February 21, 2018, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Organizations are invited to send their representatives to help plan this historic celebration, setting the stage to educate, validate and commemorate the contributions of our women in the military. This historic celebration will honor both women who have served and are serving in the United States Armed Forces.
PROPOSED EVENTS FOR WOMEN VETERANS DAY 2018:
Morning: Stepping in Solidarity to City Hall
Throughout the Day: Various organizational specific events that educate, validate and/or commemorate women in the military
Evening: Parties in the Park throughout the DFW Area
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF WOMEN IN THE MILITARY:
Highlights in the History of Military Women - https://www.womensmemorial.org/timeline
A History Of Women In The US Military - http://taskandpurpose.com/timeline-history-women-us-military/
SAMPLE CONCEPTS TO CONSIDER FOR RECOGNIZING VETERAN WOMEN IN YOUR ORGANIZATION
- Host an internal event (breakfast, lunch, reception) to honor women veterans in your organization;
- Highlight and/or invite women veterans (or their surviving family members) to discuss the military experience and its impact on their lives;
- Design a display of women veterans in your organization;
- Post a Tribute to women in the military on your agency, organization or company website and/or social media;
- Distribute an internal email to all employees that highlights the contributions of women in the military;
- Collaborate to host a local Women Veterans Day event in the DFW Area;
- Design a display around the general history of women in the military;
- Design a display of books about and/or by women in the military;
- Show videos about women in the military;