When: Tuesday, June 12th
What: Recognition of the Women Veterans in the State of Texas
Why: To recognize the contribution of women who pledged to protect and serve the United States
of America by joining the United States Armed Forces.
History: On June 12, 1948, President Harry S. Truman signed into law the Women's Armed Services Integration Act allowing women to serve as regular members of the military.
On June 9, 2017, Texas Senate Bill 805 designating June 12th as Women Veterans Day in the State of Texas, was passed: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB805/2017.
Highlights in the History of Military Women https://www.womensmemorial.org/timeline
TIMELINE: A History Of Women In The US Military http://taskandpurpose.com/timeline-history-women-us-military/
State Policies for Women Veterans - http://www.ncsl.org/research/military-and-veterans-affairs/state-policies-for-women-veterans.aspx
DALLAS EVENTS WOMEN VETERANS DAY 2018:
Stepping in Solidarity: Morning Formation Dallas City Hall, Flag Room
Throughout the Day:
Various organizational specific events that educate, validate and/or commemorate veteran women and women in the military
Women Veterans Evening Reception
Picnics & Parties in the Park throughout the DFW Area beginning June 9 - June 12, 2018
To learn how you and/or your organizations can get involved sign up at veteranwomensec.org and/or request to join our bi-weekly planning call.
Need to speak with someone, contact our Dallas WVD 2018 Planning Chair, VR Small email: email@example.com
Sample organizational ideas:
• Display pictures of women veterans and/or women in the military from your organization;
• Host a luncheon or pot luck to honor women veterans and/or women in the military in your organization.
• Set-up a display or posters of the history of women in the military.
• Invite mothers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, etc…to talk about their family member’s military experience.
• Set-up a display of books about women in the military;
• Show a series of videos/movies about women in the military;
• Send out an internal email recognizing women veterans and/or women in the military from your organization to all employees.
• Post a recognition tribute to women veterans and/or women in the military on your agency, organization, or company website and/or social media.
• Organize a trip to the WASP (Women Air Force Service Pilots) Museum in Sweetwater.
• Organize a trip to local Women Veterans Day event in your community.